THERMAL STABILITY AND KINETICS OF HYDROGEN DESORPTION FROM THE HYDRIDE PHASE OF THE MgH2 OF A MECHANICAL ALLOY OF MAGNESI-UM WITH Si, Ti, Fe
Despite much attention of scientists paid to magnesium hydride, methods of its obtaining and properties investigation, the latter still has not found wide applications as a hydrogen material-accumulator for automotive industry because of the difficulty of two major drawbacks: high temperature (300 0C at 0,1MPa H2) and its slow dissociation kinetics. In this work, with the aim of lowering the temperature, improvement the kinetics of the decomposition of stoichiometric MgH2 hydride the possibility of its complex doping by Si, Ti, Fe using the method of reactive mechanochemical alloying (RMA) has been investigated. Mechanical alloy (MA) Mg + 10 % wt. Si + 2 % wt. Ti + 2 % wt. Fe have been synthesized and its phase composition, microstructure, hydrogen-sorption properties, thermal stability and hydrogen desorption kinetics have been investigated employing the X-ray diffraction (XRD), scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and thermodesorption spectroscopy (TDS) methods. To evaluate the influence of complex alloying by Ti, Fe, Si on decomposition temperature and thermal stability of MgH2 phase hydrogen desorption isobars have been obtained at the first heating after RМA synthesis of МA samples and after the next cyclic hydrogenation from gas phase. All isobars were obtained at hydrogen pressure in the reactor 0.1 MPa and sample heating rate of 3 o/min. They were used to determine both the hydrogen desorption beginning temperature (Тbeg.) from hydride phase MgH2 of МA and temperature Tmax, that corresponds to the maximum speed of hydrogen release. The kinetic curves of hydrogen desorption from mechanical alloy-composite has been obtained at the constant hydrogen pressure of 0,1 MPa in the reactor and temperature 310 and 330 0C. They were used to determine both the hydrogen time release of half of hydrogen quantity (τ1/2) and total hydrogen quantity release (τt) for MA. It is found that Si, Ti, Fe additives to magnesium significantly improve hydrogen desorption kinetics from MgH2 hydride phase of obtained MAs. However, the effect of thermodynamic stability reducing of MgH2 hydride phase as a result of its complex doping was not observed. The developed materials allow their use at stationary application conditions. Ref. 23, tab. 2, fig. 7.
2. Dalebrook A.F., Gan W., Grasemann M., Moret S, Laurenczy G. Hydrogen storage. beyond conventional methods. Chem Commun. 2013. 49. Pр. 8735-6751. [in English].
3. Lototskyy M.V., Tolj I., Pickering L., Sita C., Barbir F., Yartys V. The use of metal hydrides in fuel cell applications. Review. Progress in Natural Science: Materials International. 2017. 27. Pр. 3-20. [in English].
4. Paskevicius D.A., Sheppard A.-L., Chaudhary C.J., Webb E., Mac A., Gray E., Tian H.Y., Peterson V.K., Buckley C.E. Kinetic limitations in the Mg-Si-H system. J. of Hydrogen Energy. 2011. 36. Pр. 10779-10786. [in English].
5. Motoki Shimada, Hisashi Tamaki, Eiji Higuchi, Hiroshi Inoue. Kinetic Analysis for Hydrogen Absorption and Desorption of MgH2-Based Composites // J. of Materials and Chemical Engineering. – 2014. -vol.2. - Iss. 3. -p. 64-71. [in English].
6. Shang C.X., Bououdina M., Song Y., Guo Z.X. Mechanical alloying and electronic simulations of (MgH2+M) systems (M = Al, Ti, Fe, Ni, Cu, Nb) for hydrogen storage. Int. J. Hydrogen Energy. 2004. 29. Pp. 73-80. [in English].
7. Ershova O.G., Dobrovolsk V.D., Solonin Yu.M., Khyzhun O.Yu., Koval A.Yu. Influence of Ti, Mn, Fe, Ni addition upon thermal stability & decomposition temperature of the MgH2 phase of alloys synthesized by reactive mechanic alalloys. J. AlloysCompds. 2008. v.464. Pp. 212-218. [in English].
8. Ershova O., Dobrovolsky V., Solonin Yu. Thermal stability and hydrogen sorption properties of the MgH2 hydride derived by the reactive milling of the Mg +10 % wt. Ti mixture. Carbon Nanomaterials in Clean Energy Hydrogen Systems (fourth ed. NATO Science for Peace and Security Programme) Springer. 2008. Pp. 467-472. [in English].
9. Dobrovolsky V.D.Ershova O.G., Solonin Y.M. Thermal resistance and the kinetics of hydrogen desorption from hydrides of the Mg–Al–Ni–Ti mechanical alloy. J. Materials Science. 2016. 51(4). Pp. 457-464. [in English].
10. Ershova O.G., Dobrovolsky V.D, Solonin. Yu.M., Khyzhun O.Yu., Koval A.Yu. The effect of Al on thermal stability and kinetics of decomposition of MgH2 prepared by mechanochemical reaction at different conditions. Materials Chemistry and Physics. 2015. 62. Pp. 408-416. [in English].
11. Dobrovolsky V.D., Ershova O.G., Solonin Yu. M., Khyzhun O.Y. Influence of titanium and iron additives to magnesium upon hydrogen-sorption properties, thermal stability and kinetics of hydrogen desorption from MgH2 phase of mechanical alloy. Powder Metallurgy & Metal Ceramics. 2016. V.55. v. 7. Pp. 477-488. [in English].
12. Chaudhary A.-L., Paskevicius M., Sheppard D.A., Buckley C.E. Thermodynamic destabilisation of MgH2 and NaMgH3 using Group IV elements Si, Ge or Sn. J. Alloys Compd. 2015. v. 623. Pp.109-116. [in English].
13. Zhou C., Fang Z.Z., Lu J., Luo X., Ren C., Fan P., Ren Y., Zhang Х. Thermodynamic Destabilization of Magnesium Hydride Using Mg-Based Solid Solution. J.Phys.Chem.C. 2014. V. 118. Pр. 11526-11535. [in English].
14. Garroni S., Santoru A., Cao H., Dornheim M., Klassen T., Milanese C., Gennari F., Pistidda C. Recent Progress and New Perspectives on Metal Amide and Imide Systems for Solid-State Hydrogen Storage. Energies. 2018. 11. Pp. 1027-1031. [in English].
15. Vajo J., Mertens F., Channing C., Bowman R., Brent F. Altering Hydrogen Storage Properties by Hydride Destabilization through Alloy Formation: LiH and MgH2 Destabilized with Si. J. Phys. Chem. B. 2004. 108. Pp. 13977-13983. [in English].
16. Sadhasiva T., Kim Hee-Tak, Jung S., Sung-Hee Roh, Park J.-H., Jung Ho Young. Dimensional effects of nanostructured Mg/MgH2 for hydrogen storage applications: A review. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews . 2017. 72. Pp. 523-534. [in English].
17. Polanski M., Bystrzycki J. The influence of different additives on the solid-state rection of magnesium hydride (MgH2) with Si. Int. J. Hydrogen Energy. 2009. 34. Pp. 7692-7699. [in English].
18. Yahya M.S., Ismail M. Synergistic catalytic effect of SrTiO3 and Ni on the hydrogen storage properties of MgH2. Int. Journal of Hydrogen Energy. 2018. 43. 6244-6250. [in English].
19. Ershova O.G., Dobrovolsky V.D., Solonin Yu.M. Mekhanichni splavy Mg-Me (Me = Al, Ti, Fe): doslidzhennya vodensorbtsiynykh vlastyvostey, termichnoyi stiykosti ta kinetyky protsesu desorbtsiyi vodnyu. [Mechanical Mg–Me (Me = Al, Ti, Fe) alloys: study of hydrogen- sorption properties, thermal resistance, and the kinetics of the process of hydrogen desorp-tion]. Fizyka i khimiya tverdoho tila. 2013. 14. No. 1. Pp. 101-107. [in Ukrainian].
20. Ershova O.G., Dobrovolsky V.D, Solonin.,Yu.M., Koval A.Yu. Vplyv domishok Al ta Fe na termodynamichnu stabilnist i kinetyka desorbtsiyi vodnyu z hidrydnoyi fazy MgH2 mekhanichnoho splavu. [Effect of Al, Fe addition on thermodynamic stability and hydrogen desorption kinetics from MgH2 phase of mechanical alloy]. Fizyka i khimiya tverdoho tila. 2015. 16. No. 3. Pp. 576-585. [in Ukrainian].
21. Dobrovolsky V.D., Ershova O.G., Soloni,Yu.M., Koval A.Yu. Termichna stabilnist ta kinetyka desorbtsiyi vodnyu z hidrydnoyi fazy MgH2 mekhanichnyy splav Mg +10% vah. Al +10% vah. Ti. [Thermal stability and kinetics of hydrogen desorption from the hydride phase of the MgH2 of a mechanical alloy Mg +10 % wt. Al+10% wt. Ti]. Vidnovlyuvana energetika. 2015. Vol. 3. Pp. 5-12. [in Ukrainian].
22. Ershova O.G., Dobrovolsky V.D, Solonin Yu.M., Koval A.Yu. Vplyv domishok Si, Fe, Ti, na temperaturu i kinetyka dispiratsiyi MgH2, otrymanyy reaktyvnyy mekhanichnyy protses. [The effect of Si, Fe, Ti additives on the temperature and dissociation kinetics of MgH2 prepared by reactive mechanical alloying]. Metallofizika I noveishie teknologii. 2017. V. 39. No. 11. Pp. 1557-1571. [in Ukrainian].
23. Ershova O.G., Solonin Yu.M., Dobrovolsky V.D, Koval A.Yu. Vohnezakhysni vlastyvosti, termichna stiykistʹ i kinetyka rozryvu hidrychnoyi fazy MgH2 mekhanichnyy splav mahniyu z Si, Ti, Fe. [Hydrogen-sorption properties, thermal stability and kinetics of hydrogen desorption from the MgH2 phase of the mechanical alloyof Mg with Si, Ti, Fe]. Vidnovlyuvana energetika. 2017. No. 3. Pp. 5-12. [in Ukrainian].
Abstract views: 76 PDF Downloads: 47